Thursday, December 5, 2013

Steal of a Deal by Andrew Rodriguez

For the last two years I’ve tried to attempt to stay healthy and fit, trying to shed old habits that I accumulated over the years. I signed up to a membership to Spectrum mainly because I also had several friends who also had memberships there and the inclusion of an indoor basketball court where just the icing on the cake to attend. Gold’s gym would eventually buyout Spectrum, their main competitors and I wasn’t so sure they would honor the discount I’ve been using for the past year. I’ve had a run in with Gold’s before in early 2011, I made the mistake signing paperwork without even paying anything first and that’s where they got me, when I surprisingly had 150 buckaroos drawn out of my account without me ever going inside and using their facility once. Personal problems with them aside when I found out about the University of Texas at San Antonio’s Recreation and Wellness Center, I felt the need to check it out and ask on how to be a member.
            To my surprise when I asked the person working up front the only thing needed in order to gain access was just your UTSA card. Almost sounded too good to be true since technically our tuition is what pays for access to the Recreation Center. Once finding out about this I finally went to go get my UTSA card and try out the facility myself. When I gave the guy up front my card and went through the gate, I looked up and was just amaze at the sheer size and depth of this place it was actually bigger than the Gold’s Gym I have my membership at. Almost felt like a steal as I looked right towards the basketball gym and left at the treadmill section. Walking towards the treadmills I didn’t even notice the weight machines as there were various weight machines some had at least three of the same machines so waiting for the next person to finish their reps wouldn't be a long process.
            The upstairs is as equally astonishing as the downstairs as there are a more treadmills and other cardio machines, but the indoor track takes it to a new level. I’ve see students run around on campus and that looks alright, but traffic from cars and other students seems like it can be more difficult to ease through. This indoor track is quite beautiful and you can also see the view from downstairs as the basketball courts are directly below it. Though, I didn’t get the chance to experience the rock wall but the fact the recreation center has one is just topping themselves they really thought about this concept over. I’ve had a Lifetime week long pass before, but I’d say this Rec center is on par with that franchise and the aquatics area isn’t even finished with their renovations.

            The one thing I know they try to get you to pay for access to the Recreation Center is the lockers. There is the option of using a locker for a day which costs only a quarter, although you can only open it once if you open it multiple times that is a quarter each time you do. The other option is a semester long locker room pass that can go up to forty dollars which makes sense because you got to make money somehow. Also you not allowed bringing your gym bag around the weight room sections or treadmill which is understandable because no one would pay for lockers if that policy was enacted. All in all this quite a steal to be able to use the UTSA gym with just a simple card that is required for all students to have. I got to say it is quite nice to have a choice to go to two gyms, feel kind of baller-like not really though but it is pretty awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment